Tips for downsizing
1) Make a list of the items, including furniture, which you will need in your new home.
2) Decide which things you will no longer need, and make another list.
3) Itemize everything not on either list, and evaluate.
4) Decide which items to sell, donate, recycle, or discard.
5) Begin thinning out items that you no longer need, want, or have space for.
6) Pack seasonal, personal, and sentimental items and store in a safe place.
7) Label everything clearly.
8) Look into how and when you will sell items too valuable to donate.
9) Contact charity and non-profit groups to find good homes for items to donate.
10) Identify general size and attributes of your next home.
11) Re-visit the lists of items to keep and refine as necessary.
12) Interview professionals such as movers, to determine the costs involved.
Planning is the key to reducing stress and anxiety when making such a big decision, it’s advisable to keep a file or journal that you can refer to as things progress.Tags: Downsizing, planning, Seniors